I feel like this has been doctor week for us! Believe it or not, my family rarely has a great need to go to the doctor (except James). James was diagnosed 5 years ago with Adult On-set Juvenile Diabetes. He maintains his blood sugar with insulin and has not had any diabetes complications since his diagnosis. It is rare for an adult to be diagnosed as he was. Common cold he couldn't get over, saw a doctor once who happened to take the time to do a full blood work up, and we walked out of the office with more diabetes meds than cold meds. I am so thankful she decided to run those tests 5 years ago before it was too late and I have to remember that when it seems the Coast Guard requires what seems like so many unnecessary tests now.
Sunday James, KL, and I spent the day with the Fam. We went to church Sunday morning and it was a very special day. Aunt Robbin joined our church by profession of faith and will be baptized this coming Sunday. This is wonderful! I am so thankful that she has been attending church with us since Uncle Ronnie's death. I truly hope she has found the comfort a wonderful church family offers. KL complained several times this weekend about her jaw hurting. We figured it was a tooth that got an infected last December that had not been pulled since it easily cleared up. She was active, but didn't eat much at all Sunday. Anyone who has ever been around my Mamaw knows on Sundays EVERYONE eats a lot, haha!
Monday was a planned "Doctor Day" for us. James is working on his pilot's license for the Coast Guard. No, this doesn't mean he will be flying planes... he will be driving boats. He has advanced in his job as much as possible until he qualifies for his license. He has taken the classes and passed all the tests and we are working on the medical/physical part. Hopefully, this is the last step! Because of his diabetes, the CG seems to make things harder for him. I understand that they have to verify he is fit enough to be in charge of large vessels and many other lives are at risk with him behind the wheel, but sometimes I just want to scream! When the CC required more tests, James can't be on the boat to see doctors. This means his 2 weeks home this time were spent with lots of doctors.
He had gotten clearance from the Opthamologist and Internal Medicine doctors the week before. Monday was the Cardiologist. He had to have a stress test. We drove to Pine Bluff and his test started at 8 AM. I left him there after a little over an hour and skipped over to my OB/GYN for my 36 week check :) I checked out fine with no complications and dilated to a 1 :) Not much and you can stay at a 1 for weeks, but I keep thinking that is 1 less to go once labor starts, haha! I went back to James who still had about an hour and a half left of testing. I sat in the waiting room with the other stress test patients and James when he was between rooms just visiting with everyone and the nurses. As he went in for the last test, the radiology tech (I assume since I didn't ask) asked me if I was expecting. As if it isn't totally obvious at 8 months! She choose to inform me then, after all this time with the patients, that the building wasn't radioactive, but every patient doing the stress test (including my hubby) was! I should be more than 10 to 15 feet away from them. Hello! I think it is too late now... not to mention James and I drove to Pine Bluff together in the same vehicle which means we had to return the same way! She said everything should be fine, but we needed to put distance between us as soon as possible. I went out front where the non-radioactive people were located for the last 15 minutes. Then they tell us that they can only give the results of the test to James himself, who is leaving Tuesday! We had to hang around PB until 1:00 and return for the results. Great. We just goofed off for 1 1/2 hours until we had to return. The doctor said there was a slight abnormality, but he wasn't concerned at all. If it was up to the doctor alone he would pass James with no problems, BUT the CC would just kick it out and say he had to prove it was fine. Therefore, when he comes back and a couple days after the baby arrives, he has to go back to the Cardiologist for a CT scan. Yuck!
We left PB about 3 and headed home. KL was at the park with Amanda. I then remembered that I forgot to call the dentist about her tooth. We dropped James off at home so that we could be "more than 10 feet apart" after the 8 hours we were already together. By the way, the radioactive stuff they gave him has a half-life of 6 hours. This means I already was exposed to the worst of it :( It was 4:15 by the time KL and I got to the dentist. We talked to his assistant who agreed (without looking) more than likely it was the same tooth and we could bring her in Tuesday morning they could just pull it.
Tuesday was James scheduled day to head back to the boat. We got up that morning and decided not to take KL to school since we would have to go pick her back up 2 hours later for the dentist. James ran to get his insulin refilled and run by the bank for some cash before he left. Of course, nothing is EVER simple around here. The ATM ate the money. It was raining and he wasn't exactly happy about this. He went inside to tell them the ATM ate the money and he needed it before leaving town. The lady told him he would have to wait until this afternoon when the ATM was balanced. He had to explain that he understood it was raining, but he was leaving before this afternoon and someone had to do it before then. They told him they would call when it was straightened out. He came and got KL and I and we went to the dentist. While we were waiting there, James went to get his hair cut, got a call from the bank and went to pick up the money, and then met us back at the dentist. When the dentist looked at her tooth, there were no signs of infection in the previously infected tooth. He showed me too and there was no swelling or redness. Her molar is coming in and there was a particle of food next to her gum line at the very back that may have been causing a little pain. He irrigated it and explained the importance of getting way back to that new tooth when brushing. We should be fine now and luckily no major dental work needed :) We left the dentist and headed to Greenville to pick up the rental car for James trip back to the boat. We got home about 3 that afternoon. James loaded up and hit the road about 4.
It is always just a sad day when James has to head back to the boat. Luckily, Tuesday evenings are ball practice for KL. We had enough time to get some supper and head to the ball field. She is tired and it is late when we get back from practice on Tuesdays so she went to bed without the usually "Daddy just left can I sleep with you?" fuss.
Wednesday morning, I had all intentions of getting caught up on the dirty clothes and dusting. After taking KL to school, I just couldn't get motivated. I had not been home since Saturday for more than a few minutes at a time and I guess it all caught up to me. I played around on the computer for too long and ended up taking a nice long nap :) Guess with the pregnancy it was just much needed. When I got KL from school, she told me that her mouth was still hurting. She told her teacher during reading time and was told "we are getting off task". I said, let me look... thinking I would see nothing, we would rinse with salt water and she would be fine. There was a huge sore on the side of her gum next to the tooth that was infected in December. I immediately loaded her up and headed back to the dentist. He asked her questions about how it was hurting before he ever looked in her mouth. She tried to explain, but it is hard for a 7 year old to explain pain when they don't have a lot of background with pain. I wanted to tell him to just LOOK and the problem would be obvious, but held my tongue. When he finally looked, he said if he had not looked yesterday, he wouldn't believe it did that over one day. I told him I agreed, but it was bad now. Needless to say, she experienced her first tooth pulling at the dentist. She did really well, but I was so angry with her teacher for not even glancing at her mouth knowing she missed the day of school before because of a tooth problem and the dentist. My baby hurt all day for nothing :(
Thursday I decided to keep her home from school because I didn't trust the teacher to call if the pain started. I was glad I did. It stormed all morning and KL didn't get off the couch until late yesterday afternoon. For those with kids, you know if they are laying around on the couch and not playing they don't feel good! She did try to play the Wii about 10:00 and lasted about 5 minutes before throwing a little fit. I told her she just wasn't up to the activity yet and needed to turn it off. I did get my cleaning done, but didn't get all the clothes washed. Craig and Amanda came over for supper about 7:00. We like getting together on Thursday nights for supper so we can watch Gray's Anatomy and Private Practice, but they were reruns. We decided to watch Marley and Me instead. It was ok, but I wouldn't watch it again.
Now we are to today... Friday! Yay!!! Clothes, clothes, and more clothes! In the last week I have washed a couple loads instead of my usual at LEAST one load a day (when it is just me and KL). With James being home during part of this time and having KL's old baby clothes from the attic to sort and wash, I have a FULL day of nothing but laundry! KL tried to play the tooth card again this morning, but she did so well late yesterday and last night I knew she really was okay to go to school. I did, however, take her in and had a little talk with her teacher about the importance of listening when she complains and how I expect to be called if she has any problems today.
KL's Nana (James' mom) called wanting to see her tonight, so after school she will spend the night with Nana... unless she refuses to go again. As of on the ride to school, she agreed to go. It would really be helpful if she would. Maybe I will have more time to figure out this blog business, haha! I know this first blog is probably just long and boring, but hopefully it will get better soon :)
Virginia Janette McCuan Breeding
2 days ago

1 comment:
Your blog looks Great!
Post a Comment