Saturday, May 02, 2009

New Arrival!

Well, it has been a while since I blogged, but I have been busy!!!

Last Friday, April 24th, I went into labor with Miss AC! I toddled around the house all day long while having contractions, waiting for them to get closer and stronger, and doing the last minute stuff I had to do before going to the hospital. I decided I could wait until KL got home from school to head that way. I went and had lunch with a good friend and called James. I told him that I wasn't positive, but thought that it was time. He started the process of coming home and planned on getting off the boat at 5 PM.

KL got home from school and about 5 PM we headed to the hospital. They doubted that I was in labor, but I explained that I progressed quickly with KL and the contractions (even tho they didn't sound typical to them) felt the exact same as with KL. They decided to keep me over night for observation. James made it in about 12:30 AM. Saturday morning they told me I had not progressed any and to go home until the contractions were closer together and stronger. The contractions continued and slowly got closer together and stronger. My dr was out for the weekend and she had another dr taking her calls. My dr called Sunday morning to check on me when she returned to town. I told her that I was still having steady contractions that were progressively getting stronger and closer together. She told me that we would induce on Monday morning but if I couldn't take the pain anymore to come back and they would admit me and give me something for pain. Sunday night at 9:30 I had had enough and went in. They gave me a shot first, which helped for a couple hours and then they started my epidural.

I wasn't pleased at all with the nursing staff that night. I will not get into any details here, but will be talking to my dr about it when I go for my follow up and possibly filing a complaint. Shifts changed at 7:00 AM and I loved the nurse I had for the delivery! She was awesome! Dr B arrived at the hospital that morning and came to check on me. She broke my water at 8:13 and AC was born at exactly 8:15 AM Monday April 27th. We stayed at the hospital until Tuesday evening (due to the dr not able to come discharge me any sooner) and headed home.

AC has been such a blessing! I never realized how much my life would change with the arrival of another baby. Well, I was in denial about how my life would change with another, haha! She is different than KL. AC is a little fussier and there are some nights we don't sleep well, but at the same time I am older (by 7 years and 10 months) and more mature. I feel that I am handling this new baby much better than I did KL and all the post-pardum (sp?) hormones that go along with new babies.

The hardest part this week has been finding time to devote just to KL. I am exclusively breast feeding and AC didn't sleep at all for 2 nights in a row. James is here and is taking up lots of time with KL, but today being Saturday and her not in school, I noticed that she noticed the lack of attention from me. She decided to act out (not too bad) and pick fights with her dad because she knows that I step in when they get too loud and rough. Tomorrow, I will have to devote time just to her and make her feel extra special. I know, but she doesn't understand, that after this first week and we start getting into a routine things will be better. For now, I just feel that I spend my day breastfeeding, diapering, and washing (baby's clothes, baby's butt, breast pump supplies, and hopefully myself at some point during the day). What little time is left is devoted to my eating and sleeping... and believe me there isn't much time left for my eating and sleeping! My parents were also here all day today and she notices anytime she is not the center of her Pap's attention!

I have learned this week that I can function on 2 hours of sleep a day. I have learned that I can breastfeed for another 30 minutes if the last hour wasn't enough for her and everything else can wait and still be there when we are done. I have learned that both my children are extra special to me and my love for each grows every day. I have learned that with more children you produce more love for each and never have to take love away from one to give to another. Even though it isn't a new lesson, it was reinforced to me that when you are at your wits end never to forget to PRAY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad you did a blog on your new arrival.

You are right your heart always makes room for one more. I know the lack of sleep is hard, but believe me when I say, enjoy her right now. She will grow so fast, it will seem like a little blip in time.