Monday, July 07, 2008

Love Questions from 7 Year Olds

This past week I took KL and my "niece" KK to the waterpark. We had a blast. It is so fun watching them grow up the same way me and KK's mom did. She may be only a cousin, but we are just as close as any two sisters I have ever met. Well, back to my original story...

I am driving down the interstate and the two K's are "way in the very back" of my ride giggling like two 7 year old girls should. They like sitting back there because they THINK they have their privacy... I have mommy ears and I hear everything I need to hear, haha. Most of the time, I sit up front pretending not to hear anything and laugh to myself about how I would sit "way in the very back" of my mom's ride thinking she had no clue what we were doing and saying. Isn't it funny now that we have kids we realize how our parents knew more than we thought they did and how we really never had them fooled at all? I realize more and more everyday that my parents really choose their battles with me because they had to know more about my life than I thought they did.

My mind wondered and I got off subject for a sec, but I am back from that rabbit hunt now.

So, they are sitting in the back seat talking about boys. They are talking about the cute ones and the ones that just get on their nerves so on and so forth. I was glad to hear that most of the boys they were goo gooing over are celebrities and I think we are save living here in Arkansas.
Anyway, I hear KK "Aunt Stacie, have you ever been shot by Cupid's love arrow?" At this point, I am so glad they are sitting far enough away and can't see my face. In my best "I am trying not to laugh at you two" voice I replied "Yes, I believe I have." They start giggling again and talking about how they can't wait until they are "shot with Cupid's arrow too!" Then my darling daughter asks "Did it hurt?"

Wow! How do you answer this? Here is how the rest of the convo played out...

Me: Yes.

KK: Did it hurt bad?

Me: Yes.

KL: What did it feel like?

Me: .......... Speechless ..........

Me (finally): When you fall in love, it does hurt, but it is a good hurt. Your heart does hurt, but you like the way it feels.

KK: I don't I want Cupid to shoot me if it will hurt.

KL: Me either!

About this time, Barbie's shoe fell off and they were off on the subject of Barbie's clothing issues. I sat and pondered. How do you explain to a couple of 7 year olds that love really does hurt? It hurts your heart greatly, but at the same time you like it? I think you can't.

My baby turned 7 a week ago now and there is no way to explain to her that when I found out she was coming and especially when I laid my eyes on her the first time I thought my heart would break because I loved her so very, very much. I can't explain to her that when I fell in love with her father it was gradual, but also a sudden realization and then same "good pain". I can't explain to her that I still love them both the same now as I did then and that the "pain" really never goes away. At the same time, I never want it to go away either.

For a 7 year old, the "love" they were talking about is a fairytale. They can't comprehend that love hurts and ya like it. Love is a good thing and pain is bad. How can they go together for a 7 year old? Well, they don't.... They just have eyes and ears to see and hear that their parents love them and respect each other and at very young ages store information about how a family should be. I hope and pray we are ALL being good examples!

The good thing is, for now Barbie takes priority over Cupid, haha.

I am so glad that I have several years before Cupid comes knocking on my front door! I have a feeling her daddy will be meeting him with his gun loaded and aimed, haha. This conversation with the girls made me realize just how lucky I am to have that love for my child and her daddy.

No comments: