Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Food, Baths and Trash

Here we go. Another blog that one day I will re-read and truely miss these days (and consider this a note to myself to remember that I miss it when the future comes!) Would anyone really believe that this is a TYPICAL day with the kids? I truely mean that most days are just like this one...

James made the comment that I was "complaining" about things at home too much. I kindly (well, kinda kindly) informed him that I am NOT complaining. I am just telling him the truth about his kids while he isn't home. I do not mean to sound like I am complaining. When he calls in the middle of me trying to clean up a mess, I am honest and tell him what I am doing. I know while I clean up this one, another is being made somewhere. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy being at home with the kids. It also doesn't mean that I am going to lie to him and tell him that the children are playing quietly in their rooms while I sit on the couch enjoying a cup of coffee and my favorite tv show. That just doesn't happen around here.

Take today for example...

Well, we will start last night and before. I am sick. I went to the doctor on Monday and I have bronchitis, a sinus infection, and fluid built up in my ears. This means I can't breath and I can't hear. Last night, as a last resort, I took my cough medicine at 1 AM so I could actually go to sleep. It knocks me on my butt so I hate taking it unless it is a have to situation.

KL woke me up at 3:45 AM and said "Mom, I am up for the day. I have already tried to go back to sleep and can't. I am going to lay on the couch and watch tv." In my drugged state, as long as she was laying down, being still, and quiet that was fine. She will wake me again if she needs anything, even as simple as a drink of water. Bet she falls asleep because she usually does if she sits still watching tv at night.

6 AM I get up and she is for real still awake. Oh my! I get her off to school just as AC wakes for the day. No laying back down for 30 minutes or so for me which doesn't exactly make me happy, but she woke up in such a good mood, I couldn't be upset with her.

Now, AC has learned to "escape" out of whatever barrier we try to use to keep her in the living room. I guess she has fully explored that room and knows there is a whole house out there with lots of stuff just waiting for her to get into. In fact, the only reason I keep the short barrier in the path is so that it slows her down.... well, did slow her down until today. I went into the kitchen to get her breakfast ready and as soon as I pulled her food out of the pantry (5 seconds? maybe?) she was pulling up on my legs. Tomorrow I bet she beats me to the kitchen, haha!

Breakfast is eaten and we return to the living room for some play time. I play with her and she slaps my face and claws my eyes numerous times. I repeatedly tell her NO! but she laughs and thinks this is a pretty funny new game. I finally give up and turn to the clothes I got out of the dryer earlier. I get them all folded and stacked nicely on the couch (out of her reach I think) and run to get a drink before I put them away. I return to the living room to find all the clothes in piles on the floor. AC is laughing and having a lot of fun playing with them. I redirect her attention, quickly refold and put them away this time.

The rest of the morning goes pretty smooth. She seems happy unless I stop her from getting into something she shouldn't and then she.... well, I guess she has learned to throw a fit. When I pick her up and she is mad I interrupted her, she will basically throw her body backwards and scream. Not cry, just scream like she is frustrated.

Lunch time is my favorite part of the day. It means that she is going to eat, get cleaned up, play briefly and then have her one and only nap for the day. Luckily, we have this down pretty well now and it will last almost 2 hours. Amazing! This child has not napped her whole life and has finally learned that she has to sleep sometime! So, I get out her lunch and put her in the highchair. I feed her 2 bites and the 3rd lands on my shirt. The fourth (different food) bite lands down the front of hers. This means a bath for sure (for both of us) before nap time. She woke up early this morning, so she did sleep for 2 hours this afternoon. I was VERY thankful!

KL came home from school and it was time to deliver some Girl Scout cookies. Being sick, I could only do about half the deliveries today. We will get the other half done tomorrow. Looks like an early supper and early bedtime tonight since KL woke so early and AC had her bath early (and is growing quite cranky I might add.)

After supper, KL decides it is a good time to make AC jealous. She thinks it is really funny to come sit by me and love on me while AC is in the floor playing. AC will come over and "fuss" at her. It really is funny and one day we are going to know what she is REALLY saying. I can tell ya, from the look on her face it isn't nice! At the same time, I so enjoy being able to cuddle a little with only KL too. So tonight, I am not feeling well anyway, so I lay down on the couch and KL lays beside me. We being talking about her day some more and all of a sudden AC appears out of no where. She had spotted us while playing with her blocks. She proceeds to crawl over and hit KL on her nose with a block. Looks like she may have a black eye. I felt horrible!

After this, I decide it really is time to get ready for bed so I put KL into the bath tub. AC keeps going in there wanting another bath, but I have no energy (again only because I am sick... any other day I would let her) to do that again when she isn't dirty. I finally realize she is perfectly happy outside the tub reaching in to play with KL. KL is old enough to watch her (even in that situation) for a few minutes. I remind KL that I don't think she will reach over enough to fall in (because she is still too short), but just in case she does immediately pick her up, make sure her head is above water, and hold her. The bath water isn't that deep and KL holding her in her lap until I got in there would keep her head above the water. So I walk out of the bathroom and into AC's bedroom (right around the corner) and start taking out her trash for trash day. I hear KL scream. I immediately run into the bathroom and see KL jumping out of the tub and AC still on the outside of the tub laughing. Apparently I should have started with the bathroom trash because AC was steadily throwing toilet paper from the trashcan into the bathtub.

All I could do was pick her up and sit down in the hallway and laugh... and laugh... which led to coughing... and laugh... and cough. I haven't laughed that much in sooooo long! I put AC in her crib (where, yes, she screamed the whole time!) and cleaned up the bathtub so that KL could take a CLEAN bath. This part of the situation wasn't funny for me at all.

Finally at 9:30 they are in the bed and the house is quiet again. I only say finally because that is late for us. When I type this, am I complaining? Absolutely, positively not! I love it. I love every second of being home with my kiddos. Who else would put up with their food fights, dirty baths, and fits? Generally, my kids are good kids. They are half of their father, so what else can I expect but to have some rough patches with them? LOL. And again tonight, I will call my hubby and say "you will never guess what your children did today!"

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Sounds like some of our evenings! lol

It's hard doing it alone.. I so understand! You can't tend to one thing b/c of another, and when you complete one task, 5 more await you and the sixth is in process.

I know that when you guys move it will make things so much easier! Days like that you can call someone to come help dig trash out of the bath. ;)

And, I think it sounds like complaining to some b/c they just don't get it. That IS how it is lol are we not supposed to talk about it?