For the next week or so, me and my family (mainly me and the baby, but James and KL because they may have to deal with some baby fits and mom crying) are in need of prayers. I have finally come to terms that no matter what I do or eat, AC is going to throw up my breast milk. She has been exclusively breastfed for 4 1/2 months. I don't want to stop and she doesn't want to stop, but after every meal she throws up. We got some formula and she spits up just a tiny bit like any normal child. No more major throwing up.
Other than the throwing up, she has done well with breastfeeding. She has gained weight at a normal (maybe even above normal) rate and always happy with it. No problem other than she just throws some of it up. So, even tho I wanted her to be a breastfed only baby until she was old enough to eat and drink "cow" milk (1 year) and maybe even a little longer than a year depending on her and how well the switch went, I have to come to terms with her being bottle fed. I have to keep telling myself that I didn't fail. I have to remember that I am doing what is now best for her. We are at 4 1/2 months. She needs more calories and if she is throwing up 1/4 of what she drinks I have to make the change for her.
Luckily James is home to help with the "fits" when she throws them (so far none!) and to lend me a shoulder for when I cry (not yet, but really close!). Amazingly, she slept thru the night last night which reaffirms to me that she wasn't getting the calories she needed during the day which led to being up 4 times (an average... sometimes more and some nights less) and had to nurse most of the night. She is sleeping and is even a happier baby now than she was. She has always been a VERY pleasant baby! I didn't know it could get even better!!
The only thing I am still holding my breathe on.... the first formula only dirty diaper! For those of you who never exclusively breastfed, you have no clue how EASY diaper duty is can be! Now we have to start dealing with stinky diapers and stained clothes :(
Yes, I am still finding more negatives than positives about this switch, but the only positive (no more throwing up) weighs more than all the negatives!
Virginia Janette McCuan Breeding
2 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment